The Middle East has flirted with disaster for almost 60 years. Maybe the British made mistakes with the mandate. Maybe the U.N. made mistakes in the way Israel was established. Maybe the major Arab powers made mistakes in encouraging Palatinians to flee Israel and then not giving them a permanent home. Maybe both sides made mistakes in the 1948 war, in the 1963 war. Maybe the deluded perpetrated the on going series of kidnappings and suicide bombings while rage simmered in the hearts of the young.
It really no longer matters who did what to whom when. Only those without power are suffering ... a mother with her infant, a child in a playground at school, teenagers going dancing on a Saturday night and riders taking a bus to work. Take any of them out of the area where they are not forced to hate and fear, they become gentle with each other. Whether a woman's head is bare or covered by a hijab, they still tickle a baby's toes. Children playing tag don't ask for a nationality before laughing and calling "You're it". Teenagers will dance with each other or not touching in a folk dance, and all the worker wants is to bring home a paycheck to their family.
Who calls on these people to hate and fear? Who leads them into war and suffering?
The small men with a need for great power.
- Thank you Bush for fouling up Iraq for the sake of your ego.
- Thank you Khamenei for funding those who maim and kill.
- Thank you Olmert for being so quick on the trigger.
- Thank you Nasrallah, Assad, Al-zaher, and Abbas for the hatred you spew that cripples all those who simply want to live in peace with their fellow man.
- Thank you Cheney and Rummy for all the tears that will be shed for the men and women who have died on your orders.
This world is yours in your pact with the devil.