15 December 2006

Don't Let The Light Go Out


The Chanukah menorah is called a HANUKIYAH.

It has nine candle holders. There are eight candles, one for each night of Chanukah. The ninth is called the SHAMASH. The Shamash is used to light the other eight candles. The Shamash is lit first and then is used to light the other candles.

The candles are placed in the HANUKIYAH from right to left. But when the candles are lit, you light from left to right.

The Blessing while lighting the candles

Blessed are you, Lord our G-d, King of the Universe, Who sanctified us by his commandments, and has commanded us to kindle the lights of Hanukah.

Blessed are you, Lord our G-d, King of the Universe, Who wrought miracles for our fathers in days of old, at this season.

Following the blessing this paragraph is said each night, after the first light has been kindled:

We kindle these lights
For the miracles and the wonders
For the redemption and the battles
Which You performed for our forefathers
In those days at this season
Through Your holy priests.

During all eight days of Chanukah
These lights are sacred
And we are not permitted to make ordinary use of them
But only to look at them
In order to express thanks and praise to Your great Name
For Your miracles, Your wonders, and Your salvations.

3 comments:

Dexter said...

I posted on yesterday's comments a few minutes ago, too.
I'm back on IE and it's working.
My friend Paul set up a little menorah when we were in Vietnam. He was a Brooklyn boy , transplanted to Canoga Park when he started high schoool.
I'm learning all kinds of stuff this week. I found a Catholic chaplet in a parking lot and had to look it up to see what it was, and found it's prayer online, too. I'm obviously neither Jwish nor Catholic, but I take some comfort in Catholic icon-medals...I have a Sacred Heart medal on my keychain and now this chaplet with its ten beads.

Durward Discussion said...

Yes the chaplet is a miniature rosary. You can say the decades five times if you want to do a full rosary, or you can say some of the special prayers associated with the various types of chaplet.

Dexter said...

I had not seen this video you posted 'til now.
P,P & M introduced me to Dylan's work way back in the early 60's and I am still a fan.
You probably found the most appropriate song for this night on all YouTube.