29 November 2009

Diamond's and Rust



This week's Take This Tune is Diamond's and Rust which is said to be Joan Baez singing to her former lover Bob Dylan and fondly reminiscing about their 1960s affair.  While this is specific to her, it could very well be any relationship that has come to an end and for whatever reason turns up on your doorstep years later with a memory and a question.
Well, I'll be damned
Here comes your ghost again
But that's not unusual
It's just that the moon is full
And you happened to call
And here I sit
Hand on the telephone
Hearing a voice I'd known
A couple of light years ago
Heading straight for a fall
Do you take the risk of meeting?  Will it be just a mildly uncomfortable get together with a stranger, or will the old sparks fly?  Do you feel something or nothing.  The number of songs written about lost loves is almost endless. 

Funny How Time Slips Away

Well how's your new love, how's your new love
Well I hope he's doin fine.
I heard you told him, I heard you said "you'd love him til the end of time"
Now that's the same thing you told me it seems like just the other day
Ain't it funny how time slips away.

Even Now

Even now when I never hear your name
and the world has changed so much since you been gone
even now I still remember and the feeling's still the same
and this pain inside of me goes on and on
even now

What's New

What's new?
How did that romance come through?
We haven't met since then
Gee, but it's nice to see you again

So what songs stir you to think of the one who got away or the one you left but still find wandering around your memory.  Do you have a story of one who turned up unexpectedly?  Is there one song that immediately takes you back to another place and time?  To this day, one song does that for me:


4 comments:

maryt/theteach said...

This is very well done, Jamie. I couldn't think of any thing except what I did... I hope it's okay. :)

Recent blog:=- Take This Tune

Carol G said...

Ah, the melancholy of it all... are we glad that it happened or sad that it didn't stay?? I can never decide. A lot of it just hurts.

Mimi Lenox said...

Nice song. I'm not the mood to ponder that. Wasted energy. Wasted time. Life is just too short.

This Eclectic Life said...

I love all the songs you mentioned but, like Mimi, I consider it wasted energy. I've found my one true love ... I'm just sorry I didn't find him twenty years earlier!

Recent blog:=- Testing An iPhone Application