21 October 2006

In The Beginning


How did you begin? If you were going to write the story of your life, what would be the first sentence or two? What is the something that would keep the reader going just to see what happened.

My parents are in the picture on the left. The year is 1943. That lump their arms are resting on is me. My autobiography would start:

There is an advantage to being the child of two black sheep. No matter what you do, people are always surprised you turned out as well as you did.

Okay, It's your turn ... start your lives. Questions may be asked by others, feel free to tell as much or as little as you like.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie, I saw your comment. Where were these pictures posted? I am a little irate that this person would take one of the few pictures I have left of my mother...please let me know when you can.

In the mean time stay safe and stay well.

Durward Discussion said...

Bear,

Those are my parents. The picture was taken on my uncles grape ranch in the fall of 1943.

Anonymous said...

" I was born feet first with the cord around my neck ......"

Durward Discussion said...

CBob

That reasonable rule was meant to apply to those who give dates and places. In the case of yours, simply flip it on its ear

Almost strangling to death while sliding into the world feet first could be considered an omen of things to come.

Anonymous said...

I was born quite against my will, in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of summer & I'm still a little miffed

Anonymous said...

In the city of New York on a warm spring day a man child was born, and they called him Brian

(Oh brother, sometimes I make myself queasy).

Anonymous said...

The Hurricane was lashing at the windows and threatening to implode them.....a baby girl was born....

"now of course, you'll name her Edna", the doctor said....

Thank God that was one doctor's advice my mother didn't follow...

Durward Discussion said...

One of my favorite quotes about autobiography is by Dorothy Parker

"All those writers who write about their childhood! Gentle God, if I wrote about mine you wouldn't sit in the same room with me. "

She never wrote a formal one, but "The Portable Dorothy Parker" collection of her writings reveals a great deal of her life in her writings.