17 May 2009

Manic Monday - Shadow




Now were you really expecting me to put up something else?

"Me and My Shadow" was written in 1927. It is credited to Al Jolson, Billy Rose, and Dave Dreyer, but was probably music by Dreyer and lyrics by Rose. In the Sinatra/Davis version above, the lyrics "as close as Bobby to JFK" were added for the famous Summit at the Sands with the Rat Pack who were in Vegas filming the original "Oceans Eleven".

From the same era, one of the most beautiful songs ever written for a soap opera of a movie whose only redeeming virtue was the scenery both natural and human: The Shadow of Your Smile



5 comments:

maryt/theteach said...

Jamie, your shadow refs are marvelous! I can't believe I didn't think of this song "The Shadow of your Smile" which has very special meaning to my husband and me... :)

anthonynorth said...

More beautiful songs. I love the old crooners.

Travis Cody said...

I had completely forgotten about The Shadow of Your Smile. A beautiful song indeed, and sung by two of the finest voices in 20th century popular music.

Marilyn said...

I don't think I'd ever heard the Shadow of Your Smile before.

Linda said...

They just don't croon songs like these anymore, do they?