11 May 2009

Manic Monday - Swing






Swing Dancing from the Movie Hellzapoppin' (1941). Slim Galliard and members performing the Hellzapoppin' Jam. Classic dance sequence of Whitey's Lindy Hoppers. Dancers (in order of appearance) William Downes and Micky Jones, Billy Ricker and Norma Miller, Al Minns and Willa Mae Ricker, Frankie Manning and Ann Johnson.

Very loosely based on the stage musical of the same name, this movie contains what is considered some of the best swing dance ever committed to film.



Then you can't really say Swing without the King of Swing, Benny Goodman, here with his orchestra playing "Swing Into Spring" and featuring a couple of unknown band singers: Ella Fitzgerald and Peggy Lee.

6 comments:

This Eclectic Life said...

Oh, Thunder! I love me some swing music. Do you swing dance? I have always wished I'd gotten Momma & Daddy to teach me how to do that.

anthonynorth said...

Oh, I love that music.

Mo and The Purries said...

I knew you'd find something fun to do with 'swing' Jamie.
Hellzapoppin' is a fun word to use.
cheers!
mo

Reba said...

Whoof! A great post... different than most of 'em woof swing dancing instead of the thing you sit on and go 'wheee'.

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

For some strange reason, I keep getting error messages from YouTube lately, so can't watch the videos. I know they were fabulous and I'm missing out big time. Great choice for Swing.

Travis Cody said...

I love to see Lindyhop danced as it should be...wild and crazed and without regard to life or limb!

That was fantastic!