05 October 2009

And Now For Something Completely Different

In 1969 " the BBC's head of light entertainment said, "I'll give you 13 shows, but that's all," and Monty Python's Flying Circus aired to a perplexed, but eventually grateful, British audience on Monday 5 October that same year. Over the subsequent 45 shows, the rules of television comedy were rewritten as John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Michael Palin, Terry Jones, Eric Idle and Terry Gilliam created lunatic characters and sketches, as funny today as they were 40 years ago.  Read all about it in today's Guardian or just watch one of the funniest bits one more time:  The Ministry of Silly Walks.

After decades of hilarity and several successful motion pictures, Monty Python finally made its way to Broadway with SPAMALOT. First the originals, followed by the Broadway cast



2 comments:

Travis said...

The ultimate in silliness!

Recent blog:=- Take This Tune

Linda said...

Ah, Monty Python - one of my very favorites ever since I stumbled across it on PBS of all places way back in the mid-1970's. I actually taught my entire Air Force flight in basic training how to do silly walks as well as rattle off ridiculous "Knights of the Holy Grail" quotes much to the amusement of our training instructors. Before that, two of my really good friends and I did "The Argument Clinic" for Senior Class Night - I think it confused a lot of people but then again, the British sense of humor seems to confuse a lot of people! Now, do you have anything without quite so much spam in it??

Recent blog:=- It Was a Bloody Good Time!