11 October 2010

Nobel Peace Prize - 1919

Thomas Woodrow Wilson

World War I (The war to end all wars) had ended and the President of the United States proposed a League of Nations to ensure that there would never again be a global conflagration as the one that had just passed.  Apparently nobody was listening.  Are they listening yet?

As soon as I typed "are they listening", I heard Don McLean's "Vincent"

Starry starry night
paint your palette blue and grey
look out on a summer's day
with eyes that know the
darkness in my soul.

Shadows on the hills
sketch the trees and the daffodils
catch the breeze and the winter chills
in colors on the snowy linen land.

And now I understand what you tried to say to me
how you suffered for your sanity
how you tried to set them free.
they would not listen
they did not know how
perhaps they'll listen now.



It's time to listen.  Only 25 days until Blogblast for Peace



2 comments:

Travis Cody said...

If pressed, I would admit that Starry Starry Night is my all time favorite Don McLean tune. I'm always fascinating at how he put Van Gogh's pictures into words.

Mimi Lenox said...

Trip down a peaceful memory lane.
BlogBlast will be here so soon and I am more excited than I've ever been.