20 October 2010

Who Will Love Me As I Am










I heard this song today from a musical that I had actually forgotten, "Side Show", which was one of those musicals with a short life despite good critical reception and probably deserves a revival or at least an "In Concert" so that the songs don't get lost in the mists of time.

Daisy and Violet Hilton were Siamese twins who became a successful vaudeville act in the 1930's. The roles on Broadway were played by Alice Ripley as Violet and Emily Skinner as Daisy. This was the only time when two actresses were nominated for a single award as, due to playing conjoined women, they were always on stage together. Their duets on stage led to two albums of duets following the show.

What makes the song unique is that it is at the heart of what we all home to find: Someone who will accept and love us exactly as we are with all of our virtues, failings, and personalities that don't always mesh perfectly with what the world considers "Normal". Just one person to find us and with the lyrics of the closing song utter the magic words, "I will Never Leave you".




4 comments:

Billie Greenwood said...

I had not heard of Side Show, and the music is wonderful. Thanks, Jamie, for introducing me to this one!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if this will let me post. But it's an interesting piece...would love to know more about these sisters.

Patsi

Anonymous said...

PS -- I understand that this isn't answering your question about unconditional love...but I can't get past an interest in the two women and what their lives were like...I will have to google them.

Patsi

Linda said...

Can't say that I've ever heard of this show but I am all too familiar with the lament. I've kind of come to the conclusion that the answer is going to be "nobody" as it seems like these days, men are too busy looking for the perfect woman to settle one who may have a few flaws here or there.

Which, when you get right down to it, though, is okay as I'd rather be alone than with the wrong person - again!