15 September 2011

5 On Friday - The Opera Opus




Welcome to another 5 on Friday courtesy of Trav at Trav's Thoughts. To join in, just visit his site, sign in and go forth to add more music to the blogosphere on your own site. This week I have it really easy as this is the day in history when we lost the in person voice of the glorious Maria Callas. So here are five very popular arias thanks to the fact that sound was recorded and is now available full time on You Tube.





First up one of my all time favorites: O Mio Babbino Caro from Gianni Schicchi with a very weird video of "DRAMATIC" Callas expressions but no open mouth, just the recording.





The beautiful vissi d'arte from Tosca





One of these days I have to figure out why the first six notes of this aria make me tear up every time. Un Bel Di Vedremo from Madama Butterfly. Unfortunately for this high quality version, embedding is denied, so you will need to click on this link to You Tube.


The flirtatious gypsy seductively dances to every note with the Habanera from Carmen





And last, the Libiamo ne' lieti calici (Drinking Song) duet from La Traviata


1 comment:

Linda said...

I'm not a huge opera fan but I think I would love to someday see the entirety of "Carmen" being performed.

I'm not an enormous fan of sopranos either as the high notes make me grit my teeth but I do so love a good tenor! Speaking of which, there will be one of those in my Five on Friday tomorrow!