13 February 2007

When You Care Enough


Many years ago a gentleman of my acquaintance said that he only had one real regret with women and that was that no one had ever sent him a love letter. I couldn't in all honesty send him a love letter, but I could write something imaginary for a good person. Now that he is no longer around, feel free to steal his:

Love Poem By Request

I wouldn't have been ready for you then
when the wounds were still fresh
when tomorrow was the hope of fools like
Santa Claus
Sir Galahad
Fairy Tales and
Happily ever after




I wouldn't have been ready for you then
when tears were for goodby
when nice guys like the pledge of allegiance were
In school
In Church
In Books
But never at home



I wouldn't have been ready for you then
when my faith had grown dim
when self evident truths weren't eternal like
Motherhood
Aple Pie
Popcorn
or most of all Love

I wouldn't have been ready for you then
Before I found myself
Before I knew I could still believe in
Santa Claus
Sir Galahad
Fairy Tales
Happily Ever After
Motherhood
Apple Pie
Popcorn
Love
And You

4 comments:

Linda said...

I don't plan on reading very many Valentine's Day poems this year but I must say that this one was quite nice, quite nice indeed!

BBC said...

Still not ready are you?

You city girls are like that.

Oh well.

Have a nice Valentines Day. Hugs.

Durward Discussion said...

bbc

This was for a friend. My great love arrived and left way too soon after only eight years. Nice memories though. I only hope everybody has a chance for at least one.

Anonymous said...

Jamie...

that poem is beautiful...

hey...there's still time to meet someone yet...