24 May 2008

Remembering



How Will I Remember You

You ask if I will remember you.
I answer Rockefeller Double Feature, Westwood 2:00 AM
grape jam fired through straws - splashes of
purple silliness and dinner rolls in a juggling act.

You ask when will you enter my mind.
I answer Down in the Depths of the 90th floor
on black and white with P. T. Barnum Up In One
and the Musicians Union on Wednesdays

You ask when I will echo your words
I answer, "My lover, my associate, but most
of all my friend" with "Zuckys #6 heavy on the
egg salad, skip the onions plus an egg cream"

You ask if there is an empty space in my life.
I answer Mars on fire in a nightime sky, mist
rising off the pool, typing dressed in only a
towel words to wrap tomorrow's fish.

You ask when I will say your name.
I answer California Dreamin', the Chinese
Air Force in the middle of the night -
Cryptic instances that delineate a life

And stories I will tell until
MY dying day

6 comments:

maryt/theteach said...

Just a marvelous poem for Memorial Day, Jamie! A a very personal poem for yourself!

thanks so much for the trip to paradise for my B-day! I love it! :D

BBC said...

Nationalism is a sick mind set, as Einstein well knew. This is one sick country, but it's just a part of one sick world.

And times are changing fast and I'm glad that I don't live in a big city anymore. Be safe over there, if you go to war protests like I do at times I suggest that you avoid them for a while.

Not that the protests are not worthy, I just see trouble coming to them and personal safety comes first.

maryt/theteach said...

The jet, the outfit, Necker Island - all marvelous gifts from my dear friend! Thank you again!

Bowman C said...

Read your comment. I don't do much wit this blog anymore, but I did just put up a couple of pictures of my fater during WWII as a tribute.

eProf2 said...

Jamie, thanks for the post. I had a chance to visit the wall several years ago. Quite moving. I only wish our nation could find other ways to settle differences than through war. There are times when I'm convinced we as humans haven't come very far from the caves of our ancient ancestors. I hope you have a great, reflective, and hopeful day today and tomorrow and always.

Sarge Charlie said...

well done


Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer “am I worth dying for?”~

Eleanor Roosevelt