14 December 2008

Special Plea



It has been all over the news: The unemployment figures, the foreclosures, the layoffs or extended business shuttering for months. People who last year were contributors, this year are recipients.

Every year the Marine "Toys For Tots" program tries to make sure that every child receives at least one toy. This year, they are falling way short on donations while the need figures keep climbing. They are already running out of the donations from the major toy manufacturers.

If you can see your way clear to buy a toy or donate a few dollars, please do so. One thing to remember, the donations for the youngest children tend to be generous while older children sometimes go lacking. Please do what you can either in person or at the Toys For Tots website.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right that the older ones go lacking. For most people, it is more "fun" to buy for the itty bitty kids, but those older ones are children, too! Thanks for reminding us of this.

Travis Cody said...

My new company participates in the Toys for Tots drive. I'll be dropping a toy under our company tree this week. And I'll be getting something for an older kid this time around.

Actually, I might get several toys. It's only right...I dodged extended unemployment this year so I want to spread my good fortune.

Linda said...

This is always such a good cause, my Mom contributed last week while we were at the local mall; I need to step up to the plate soon, too!

carol g said...

This going to sound like a Scrooge "BAH HUMBUG" response... many, many people requesting this help also request it from absolutely every organization out there taking applications. And most of them get the help from just about every request they make. I remember waaaaaaaay back when I was a young single mother of 3 boys, I asked for help from the Santa Toy Fund in the area. I was flabberghasted when I heard the family in front of me in line say that the wished this line would hurry up, they had to get to another place and pick up more stuff. The gal in back of me said "yeah, me too". I could have cried !! I never would have done that. Oh yeah... their kids were wearing NFL jackets (some welfare system, huh?). So that is my reason for getting a little edgy when these organizations say: we're running short this year. Some kids out there are going to have a really GREAT Christmas.

carol g said...

Many apologies for unleashing my cynicism here... please read my blog entry today at A Letter To Me...