18 January 2009

Manic Monday - Office



Most of us think of "office" as one of those places you go to work from nine to five or longer. Perhaps either the British comedy (or it's American version) "The Office" comes to mind for laugh filled episodes. Still the word "office" has a much more exalted meaning such as: Barack Obama was just elected to the OFFICE of the Presidency.

An office is an appointment or election to a titled position of honor that is often represented in family names from the time of the original appointment. One such is my middle name: Durward. You've never heard of a job called "Durward"? Maybe if I say, Door Ward or Gate Keeper it will make more sense. So what is a Door Ward (in family and first names now spelled Dorward or Durward)? While it could be a post as simple as an honorary Guard for an important person either with the church or the nobility, in medieval Scotland the office of king’s doorward was one of considerable honor.

In the case of my family, the name dates from Thomas de Lundin guardian of a Scottish king during his minority, attainment of an earldom and life in a rather pleasant castle. Uquhart is a bit of a ruin now, but if you go there, you will have a good lookout point to see the Loch Ness Monster.



To join in the fun of Manic Monday go HERE


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! And now we know the rest of the story... I always wondered where the Duward came from.

anthonynorth said...

A great post, and I've heard of that castle often. But then again, I'm a mysteries buff - and it looks over mysterious waters.

maryt/theteach said...

Jamie, interesting information about your name! I don't have my Manic Monday up now but I'm going to put it up in just a minute! :)

Tink *~*~* said...

Love the deep blue of the loch. I think someday I shall want to take a hiking tour of ruins throughout the British isles. So much history there!

I wrote about my own home office today -

NEW at My Mobile Adventures *~*~* - A tour of my home office

Tink *~*~*

carol g said...

And here I thought you might do something on the office of the president... nope, you are just way too cunning for that... great post. I always learn so much from you.

ClancyPants said...

WOW. I want to go visit your Uquhart. Beautiful pic. You always have very fascinating posts.

Happy MM!

Anonymous said...

Wow - very interesting info and I love the castle - I'm quite fond of castles!

Linda said...

To know this sort of history about your family is absolutely wonderful! Such an honor for you and your family and to know that you have ties to that lovely castle and land - marvelous!!

Travis Cody said...

I enjoy the origin of names.