28 June 2009

Rock On


This IKONOS satellite image of Ayers Rock was collected Jan. 17, 2004. Ayers Rock is located in Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, 280 miles southwest of Alice Springs, Australia. It is the world's largest monolith, an Aboriginal sacred site and Australia's most famous natural landmark.



This is the view as you approach Ayers Rock ( Uluru) from the desert. The link above will take you to a site with the full history and explanation of the myths or the dreamtime when the rock was created.




Welcome to another Manic Monday with Morgen. Don't forget to cruise by Manic Monday Headquarters for other participants.

8 comments:

Rinkly Rimes said...

It's interesting to read a factual account! I always go off into whimsy!
Incidentally, I've been in Australia for over thirty years and I've never been there!

Travis Cody said...

Quite the rock indeed!

Linda said...

Were I doing a post for Manic Monday, I think I would have to write about The Rock aka Alcatraz Island but because I'm not doing Manic Monday (after 16-hour Sunday there's just no energy left!), I am happy to settle for this monolithic rock that has always fascinated me. It would be worth it to take a trip to Australia to view this wonder - and maybe even get a lucky glimpse of Hugh Jackman - another of Australia's natural wonders!

anthonynorth said...

That is one amazing, mystical place.

maryt/theteach said...

Got to visit Australia a while back, Jamie but remained by the east coast, Sydney, Cairns, went snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef. But I could tell it was Ayers even viewing it from above! Great post! :)

This Eclectic Life said...

If the fates had been kind, I would speak with an Aussie accent instead of this Texas twang. Daddy had found work there, but then Momma found out my little sister was on the way, so he backed out of it.

I love the didgeridoo. I have one here at the house, but can't master "alternate nasal breathing." I make sounds that resemble a cow in heat.

Keyboard Jockey said...

http://youhavetobethistalltogoonthisride.blogspot.com/2009/06/manic-monday-rock.html

Desert Songbird said...

I've always found that rock to be intriguing.

Manic Monday - Rock