03 January 2011

Take This Tune - Nightswimming



This week's "Take ThisTune" is Nightswimming by REM.  Do you have a story to tell.  Follow the link to sign in to share with others.

------------

I really wish I could show you the pool.  It is a real swimming pool, near a real house, in a real city.  I haven't seen it in 25 years, but it is there in my memory with me nude treading water.  The lights are coming up from below and the star filled night sky is hanging above.

REM wrote

Nightswimming, remembering that night
September's coming soon
I'm pining for the moon
And what if there were two
Side by side in orbit
Around the fairest sun?
That bright, tight forever drum
Could not describe nightswimming

And my poem about the same thing said:

You ask if there is an empty space in my life.
I answer Mars on fire in a nightime sky,
mist rising off the pool, 
I type now dressed in only a towel 
words to wrap tomorrow's fish.


Words and places can haunt you more than people and pictures.  Back to the REM song:  September came too soon and left me without a pool and a place but with an incredibly lovely memory and a loss that has turned into a blessing because it is always a blessing to know you loved another human being so much that a quarter of a century is like yesterday and you can still feel the warm waters of the pool.
.  

2 comments:

Travis Cody said...

Now I understand why that song suggestion had such an impact. Your verse is so expressive. No need to show me the pool...I can see it.

Mimi Lenox said...

"I answer Mars on fire in a nightime sky"

Chills.
Beautiful.