17 December 2007

Love Songs



There is a tale that may or may not be true that when King Henry VIII was first courting Anne Boleyn, he wrote new lyrics for a popular well known tune of the 1500s. As you read the lyrics, you can hear the voice of a middled aged married man trying to seduce a beautiful young woman. We all know that this came to a bad end with a divorce of wife number one and the beheading of wife number two. Still the beautiful love song is sung and played 500 years after.





Greensleeves, King Singers

In 1865, William Chatterton Dix wrote new lyrics to the same lovely melody in praise of the arrival of Christ first seen sleeping in his mother's lap and then predicts the sorrowful end with another death but a joyful resurection.






What Child Is This? Sung by Josh Groban (With a video from the movie "Nativity"). There are more than eleven pages of this carol on You Tube. This was my favorite.

What Child is this who, laid to rest
On Mary's lap is sleeping?
Whom Angels greet with anthems sweet,
While shepherds watch are keeping?

This, this is Christ the King,
Whom shepherds guard and Angels sing;
Haste, haste, to bring Him laud,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

Why lies He in such mean estate,
Where ox and ass are feeding?
Good Christians, fear, for sinners here
The silent Word is pleading.

Nails, spear shall pierce Him through,
The cross be borne for me, for you.
Hail, hail the Word made flesh,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

So bring Him incense, gold and myrrh,
Come peasant, king to own Him;
The King of kings salvation brings,
Let loving hearts enthrone Him.

Raise, raise a song on high,
The virgin sings her lullaby.
Joy, joy for Christ is born,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.


12 comments:

Linda said...

Josh Groban could sing "Zippedty-Doo-Dah" and I would absolutely love it! What a great choice for "Carol".

I never knew the original origin of "Greensleeves" either - thanks for the added knowledge!

Oh, and I am working on getting you that Mac & Cheese with Shrimp recipe!

Durward Discussion said...

You Tube seems to be down so I hope any who don't see the videos will come back for them.

Anonymous said...

I love the song, "What Child is This?" My favorite version is the Vanessa Williams "jazz" rendition.

That is one of my favorite Christmas songs.

Sandee said...

Very well done Jamie, as always. Excellent. Have a great MM. :)

Neila said...

That is such a beautiful song! I never knew it was originally written by Henry VIII! Thanks for sharing this one!!

Gattina said...

Very interesting ! I didn't know that this fat and ugly guy could be so romantic !

Anndi said...

Beautiful song... a poor babe in swaddling clothes... so much promise.

May we live up to it.

Peace on this MM.

maryt/theteach said...

Thanks for the lovely carols, Jamie! Greensleeves is a favorite.
Thank for visiting my post for MM!

DEB SENT PICTURES FROM HER CRUISE! VISIT HER BLOG TO SEE THEM!!
http://palofmine.wordpress.com

Stine said...

Lovely, both of them...

Schmoop said...

I have a great version of this song by Loreena McKennitt. Cheers Jamie!!

frizzyeatworld said...

Very very interesting holiday trivia. I loved The Nativity. I mean, we all know how it starts and ends and all LOL but I still managed to cry during a couple of scenes. It truly is a beautiful story. And this, an absolutely beautiful song.

Happy holidays, everyone!

Travis Cody said...

I love the first version. I knew where the song originated but I had never heard it performed.