19 December 2007

Thank You Very Much




Tonight at 7:00 p.m. Eastern, the irrepressible Mo of The Mo Show on Blog Talk Radio will be discussing A Christmas Carol and your favorite Scrooge in all his forms from the book club selection of Mr. Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" to the Classic Movies to the modern incarnations of the Grinch with a heart three sizes too small.

While I love all incarnations of the miserly Ebenezer, the stalwart Crachitt, and the saintly Tiny Tim, my all time favorite played as a yearly family video is the Leslie Bricusse musical "SCROOGE" with Albert Finney as Scrooge. We all love the delightful song that makes Scrooge think he is being thanked by all his debtors without realizing they are overjoyed at his coffin being carried to its final resting place. We love all the ghosts with the favorite being The Ghost of Christmas Present getting Scrooge drunk on "The Milk of Human Kindness".



Tom Jenkins
Ladies and gentlemen
On behalf of all the people who have assembled here
I would merely like to mention if I may
That our unanimous attitude
Is one of lasting gratitude
For what our friend has done for us today
And therefore I would simply like to say

Thank you very much!
Thank you very much!
That's the nicest thing that anyone's ever done for me
I may sound Double-Dutch
But my delight is such
I feel as if a losing war's been won for me
And if I had a flag I'd hang my flag out
To add a sort of final victory touch
But since I left my flag at home
I'll simply have to say
Thank you very, very, very much!

---------------------------------------------------------

Tune in tonight to chat with Mo about the book and your favorite version, but you can get a head start by telling me...

4 comments:

Travis Cody said...

Ahhh...Albert Finney.

I don't think I've seen this one.

Linda said...

I've only seen bits and pieces of this incarnation of Scrooge and never saw the one that several people have mentioned with Alistair Cooke.

I suspect Mr. Dickens would be shocked to see how many people have come to know Ebenezer Scrooge!

Linda said...

Duh ... no wonder I haven't seen the version with Alistair Cooke - there isn't one! I meant Alistair Sims! I think I need a nap or something!

enigma4ever said...

thank you for the reminder....I like Patrick Stewart in the part...but Albert Finney is just fine too...