06 July 2008

Earn Your Stripes



Still on vacation running around doing interesting things, but couldn't skip Manic Monday. If you are part of a military family, you immediately jump to "Earning One's Stripes" when you see the word stripe. It is the way the service personnel are rewarded for performance and indicate the rank they have attained.

One of the best places to get a general overview of the services, and a good first stop place for anyone considering the military as a career is Grunts Dot Com. By the time someone coming up through the ranks reaches Master Sergeant, they have usually devoted 15 to 20 years of their working life to the service of the country.





10 comments:

Mo and The Purries said...

Ah, you've earned your stripes (and some vacation time!) with your Manic Monday posts!

Travis Cody said...

Yup. That's where my head went as soon as I saw the word stripes.

Love the video!

Janna said...

For some reason, in my family, "grunt' is slang for "having a bowel movement".
So "grunts dot com" would have a different meaning entirely. :)

anthonynorth said...

I was in the UK armed forces, and when I got my first stripes, it was one of the most significant times in my life.
Just the wearing of them increases confidence amazingly.

Anonymous said...

I've never seen the Army Band, but I have seen the Marine Band several time! Love it!

maryt/theteach said...

Jamie, while I might not call my family a military family, my father fought in WWII, my uncle was a Master Sergeant in the Air Force and my nephew (which I'm sure I've said before) is getting out of the Marines this month after having served 6 months in Iraq. I'm proud of our soldiers, grunts in particular because they are the ones losing their lives over there in Iraq. Let's bring 'em all home! :)

Sarge Charlie said...

I love that band

Sherry Lewis said...

Great post! I thought of earning your stripes too, but ... well ... I couldn't make anything of it :)

Anonymous said...

YAY for our military!!!! They rock!

Linda said...

Good choice! I had three stripes and a star when I got out of the Air Force which made me a Sergeant. At that time three stripes with the star still blacked out was a Senior Airman.

If I'd had any sense I would have stayed in and tried to earn as many stripes as my Dad but that's that whole "hindsight 20/20" thing!