29 July 2008

A Modern Happy Ending - Sort Of



I knew nothing about their story until reading a Reuters' news article on my feeder this morning. If this had been a date night movie, we all know the plot: Boy sees girl. Boy loses girl in crowd. Boy does a manic pursuit to find girl. Boy gets girl. Music crescendo and fade to black with romantic dreams spilling out of the theater into a warm summer night.

Not so fast. He's a web designer. She is a hope to be actress, waitressing in the meantime. He saw her in the swarm of Grand Central commuters and lost her in the crowd. He put up a web page and among the millions, someone recognized her. They met, appeared on TV, got acquainted and fade to black as they dated only to announce at a later date that they are now just friends.

Is that such a bad ending? Two people actually turned out to be nice human beings who took a chance rather than wonder about might have been.

Since I just saw Mama Mia, what would you do if presented with

Take A Chance On Me

10 comments:

RebelliousRenee said...

Jamie..... excellent story!

and there's nothing wrong with being friends...
in some ways, it's better..... you usually don't get as upset with friends as you can with a lover....

just look at Mama Mia..... 21 yrs of misunderstanding because sex was involved.....

Durward Discussion said...

Still think they should have cast Glenn Close instead of Streep, but it was a fun movie.

Linda said...

I think it's great that they took the chance and had the opportunity to meet and become friends. Sure, a romantic ending would have befitted a Hollywood movie more but as we all know, real life and the movies and sometimes not even on the same planet!

I still need to see "Mama Mia" but Jamie is pestering me to go see "Hellboy II" with her today so I will probably go see that instead .. sigh!

Anonymous said...

Glad they took the chance rather than saying "what if..."

frizzyeatworld said...

What an awesome story. It didn't have a fairytale ending, but a happy one nonetheless. It's good, I think. Plus, it's hardly the end; anything could still happen.

Thanks for sharing this one, I really liked it a lot. Cheers! ;)

Billie Greenwood said...

What a fun, fun post. I loved the song. Great touch for the end. I can't wait to see Momma Mia. Now I think I'll brouse through YouTube and see what other songs I can find.

Travis Cody said...

That is a nice story. Gotta love the internets.

Ivanhoe said...

Love Abba a saw the musical :o) Have yet to go see the movie. Some say if there was not the Abba music, it would be a horrible movie... What did you think?

Anonymous said...

I took that chance - and at times think I was crazy doing so. I met my husband on line (playing bingo on a game site). So instead of sitting around in the cold winters of New England, I am living la vita loca in California and seeing many, many new places via cruise ships. Yup, I took a chance. And I so enjoyed the party called Mama Mia... not much of a plot, true, but great music and some good laughs.

eProf2 said...

The Mrs and I saw Momma Mia yesterday. Loved it! Best musical (from my perspective as I don't usually go out of my way to see musicals) in years. Streep was great, even Brosnan, who can't sing, was better than good. We left the theatre with a feel-good afternoon with an early dinner talking about the film and the music. When the film first started I kept thinking "who is the young woman getting married?" She plays the daughter of the first family of polygamists in Big Love. She will have a long film career ahead.

To the thread: Don't we all take chances on love no matter the circumstances of the meeting? Some circumstances are more "romantic" than others but they all involve chances.

Nice post.