13 September 2006

Home






When I still attended church regularly, one of my favorite hymns was "This is My Father's World" not because of its religious content, but because it expressed the miracles that I have always seen in nature.

To this day, the loss of habitat, species or intential cruelty toward animals distresses me more than man's actions against man. The animals cannot fight back against the predation of population increases and destruction of their homes.

We now know that when they can live in healthy peace, it improves everything for us all. When we injure or manipulate them, we injure ourselves.

This is my Father’s world,
and to my listening ears
All nature sings, and round me rings
the music of the spheres.

This is my Father’s world:
I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas;
His hand the wonders wrought.

This is my Father’s world.
I walk a desert lone.
In a bush ablaze to my wondering gaze
God makes His glory known.

This is my Father’s world,
a wanderer I may roam
Whate’er my lot, it matters not,
My heart is still at home.

5 comments:

COLORADO BOB said...

Nice post...there Jamie.

And thanks for the link to TYKO..It's getting over 60 visits an hour now.

Durward Discussion said...

You deserve the attention. Besides, any chance I get to gush over KO, I will. :-)

Just wish my mental ramblings we get that kind of attention.

Anonymous said...

Jamie...
excellent post!
Rick and I are big Thoreauvians...
and as such we love nature.
We don't understand why some who call themselves Christian, don't get that God made this world and everything...including animals..in it.

ps...my cat, Ami, is sitting on my lap while I'm typing this...it's harder to type...but I love her...

Durward Discussion said...

Renee,

Our household is owned by four cats. They allow us to feed and caress them while providing entry and exit services in exchange for a place to live.

Anonymous said...

Jamie...well 3 own my household.
Yeah...they let me put food in their bowl...clean their litter box...and come in and out in their own sweet time...

Actually...I've lucked out with this 3 (all coming from shelters)... they are very friendly and loved to be picked up and petted....but when they want attention in the middle of the night....having my face licked while asleep is bit of a pain in the butt....