26 November 2006
Christmas Fruit Squares
Christmas Fruit Squares (Makes 25)
Butter-flavored cooking spray
¾ Cup sifted cake flour
½ Teaspoon baking power
1/8 Teaspoon salt
1 - Teaspoon ground cinnamon
2/3 Cup spoonable brown sugar substitute
¼ Cup chopped walnuts
½ Cup Chopped peeled apple
½ Cup dried no sugar added dried cherries
½ Cup chopped dried apricots
¼ Cup golden raisins
1 Large egg + 1 large egg white
2 - Tablespoons Fresh orange juice
1 - Tablespoon canola oil
1. Position the rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch (22.5 cm) square baking pan with parchment paper. Lightly coat the paper with cooking spray.
2. In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, brown sugar substitute, and walnuts.
3. In a small bowl, combine apple, dried cherries, apricots, and raisins. Add to flour mixture and using your hands, toss the fruits with the flour, separating the fruits and coating them evenly with flour mixture.
4. In a large measuring cup, beat together egg, egg white, orange juice, and oil. Mix well. Add to flour-fruit mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until mixture is thoroughly mixed and evenly moistened.
5. Spoon into prepared pan and press down evenly. Bake for 25 minutes, until top is golden and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut into 25 squares. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.