11 November 2007

11th Hour 11th Day 11th Month






This is probably the most famous poem to come out of World War I. The whole story of the poem can be found here on the Arlington Cemetery site.

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high. If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.


And then there is another great poem:
GRASS
By: Carl Sandburg

Pile the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo.
Shovel them under and let me work -
I am the grass; I cover all.

And pile them high at Gettysburg
And pile them high at Ypres and Verdun.
Shovel them under and let me work.
Two years, ten years, and passengers ask the conductor:
What place is this?
Where are we now?
I am the grass.Let me work.


5 comments:

Schmoop said...

As I said to a Brit Blogger a few days ago when he posted this poem, "What is there to add?" Cheers!!

Travis Cody said...

Excellent tribute.

We thank them for their duty, their honor, their service, and their sacrifice.

Linda said...

An excellent tribute, Jamie. Very well done.

maryt/theteach said...

Beautiful, Jamie! My father fought in World War II and my nephew was in Iraq for a time. He's back in the US, thank goodness! You've inspired me! Thanks.

Sarge Charlie said...

Excellent Jamie, my family has been in wars since 1864. Great Grand Paw was killed by Shurman's men in Atlanta, grand paw was in WWI, my father in WWII, I was in Vietnam, and my grandson has been in Iraq. Where have the young men gone??????