30 July 2011

A Wedding


Canongate Kirk


Edinburgh Map


Zara Phillips, granddaughter of her majesty Queen Elizabeth II, is getting married today in the lovely church shown above. It is the Canongate Kirk.  Now normally I wouldn't be all that interested in the nuptials of people unknown to me except in this case.  The happy couple are getting married in the White family church.

If you look to the left of the map, you will see Tollbooth Wynd.  That is where the White family lived in the mid 1700s through to the end of the 1800s, so they actually saw the church being erected. Also, it is  the church for the Palace of Holyrood House (to the right on the map), the Queen's residence when she happens to be in Edinburgh.

Within a distance of three blocks, you have the homes of a dairyman and royalty, joined in time by a small church.


Holyrood House

2 comments:

Linda said...

One of these days I will manage to get myself across the pond to see places like this in person - I sincerely hope at least!

Mimi Lenox said...

That is fascinating.
But why, oh why, didn't you get both of us an invitation to the royal wedding?
I'm a Queen ya know!!