11 April 2011

Able Was I Ere I Saw Elba





On this day in 1814 Napoleon Bonaparte emperor of France and one of the greatest military leaders in history, abdicates the throne, and, in the Treaty of Fontainebleau, is banished to the Mediterranean island of Elba.  The link goes to "This Day In History" for the events of this day, and the title is one of my favorite palindromes.  


To top it all off, this day gives me an excuse to play one of my favorite Mark Knopfler songs:  Done With Bonaparte which I used a while back for a "Take This Tune" theme.








2 comments:

Travis Cody said...

I'm terribly deficient in my world history knowledge, unless it deals with World War II. There's just so much to read and learn.

Napoleon seems to me one of those leaders who proves the adage that no matter how brilliant one is, one is always susceptible to mistakes.

Linda said...

I have to agree with Travis on all points on this one and also agree that my world history is sorely lacking.

There have been so many "leaders" throughout the history of the world that just weren't able to lead properly. Makes you wonder what the world would have been like had they actually been able to.