25 April 2011

The Durian Tree





The Old Man And The Durian Tree



An old man aged over 80 years old was planting a durian tree when he was observed by a neighbor. (A durian is a thorny fruit with a very pungent smell. It is known as the King of Fruits and is very popular in South East Asia)

The neighbor asked the old man “Do you expect to eat durian from that tree?” The durian tree will take about 8 to 10 years to bear fruit.

The old man rested smilingly on his spade. He said “No, at my age I know I won’t. All my life I have been enjoying durians but never from a tree I have planted before. I could not have had durians if other men have not done what I am doing now. I am just trying to pay the other men who planted durians for me.”



Author Unknown

-Do we serve so that others can enjoy what we have received?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A chance to reflect, and learn about your True Essence.
Brought to you by The School of Practical Philosophy.

If you are not currently a subscriber to Story Of The Week, but would like to be, please click on the following link:  http://www.philosophyworks.org/newsletter/subscriptions/

Feel free to share Story Of The Week with your friends.

1 comment:

Mary said...

If only we all could be so thoughtful, Jamie. This would indeed be a far better world. Now I am off to plant a durian tree of my own.