15 November 2008

How Long Has This Been Going On?



I've been aware of "memes" for a long because of taking part in the weekly Manic Monday invented by the marvelous Mo. Then there are the times when Her Royal Highness, the Queen of Memes residing at of Bloggingham Castle over at Mimi Writes often sees fit to drop her bejeweled scepter on my tender brow while issuing a royal decree.

Just for the record, those darn diamonds hurt.

Yesterday, I invented a simple little meme. Who knew that lurkers would drop out of wherever lurkers live and say, "Okay, I'll do that." Not only is there a feeling of accomplishment, but you get to chat with people who haven't spoken up before. It gives you an excuse to run out and discover some very nice blogs on the winding road of the Internet.

Keith Marshall over at Zen Mischief did it first and gives you a real idea of the power of the Internet. Tell me how in my non virtual life would I be likely to chat with a chemical engineer living in London who reads Anthony Powell? Just the titles of some of his blog articles are fascinating and will tickle your funny bone while giving your IQ a hefty boost, so do yourself a favor and drop in for a visit.

Next up was Hagar's Daughters who is almost a polar opposite of Keith. Her personal description of her blog says it all: For women who find themselves at the well...praying, crying, dancing, & pondering (& the men who join them there). She is a chaplain born in Louisiana now living in Los Angeles. If you need a dose of humor, confidence, courage, or just plain down home wisdom, this is the place to go.

One of my absolute favorite bloggers, Mary The Teach, over at Work of the Poet is jumping in on this one. If you like dropping in on a trusted friend to chat about anything and everything, this is the place to go simply because you never know what has captured her interest. She might as well hang up a sign reading "Eclectic R Us" just for the sheer variety you find at her space.

Now the title of this blog entry gives me an excuse to put up a wonderful video (as if I needed an excuse for another look at the wrongly cancelled by the rats at CBS "Moonlight" and Mick my favorite vampire. I bet the success of HBO's True Blood is killing them).



When that video comes with an amazing Gershwin standard and the incomparable voice of Ella Fitzgerald, what's not to love?





6 comments:

Mimi Lenox said...

I'm sorry I hurt your head with my diamonds. I'll try not to do it again.
I'm a peaceful Queen ya know.....

Mimi Lenox said...

...and then there's the Dungeon...

Linda said...

Memes are funny things, aren't they? I think some just appeal to people more than others but you just never know what that appeal is going to be.

Hmmm, I'm not sure if that comment makes any sense - perhaps today's round of cleaning products went to my head??

Travis Cody said...

I've been wanting to do some of these writing memes I see around the bloggosphere. I don't think of them so much as memes though. Just writing prompts.

maryt/theteach said...

Oh, Jamie, you romantic soul you, Moonlight and Mick the vampire... You just gave me the shivers watching that video clip! Thank you so much for the shout out - I loved doing the Birthday meme! :)

Hagar's Daughter said...

Thanks so much for dropping by my site and leaving a comment. Your words are so kind.

Thanks for mentioning me on your blog.