16 November 2008

Manic Monday - Season



Don't forget to visit the Manic Monday headquarters HERE to see links to other Manic Monday posts.


The instant someone mentions season, my brain starts playing the old English song, Scarborough Fair sometimes known as: Parsley (Forgiveness), Sage (Strength), Rosemary (Remembrance) and Thyme (Courage).



Just Staying with the English model, there is Brother Cadfael with his many plants in his garden that are grown, picked and used as potions for medicine or herbs to season food, all while solving the many mysteries written by Ellis Peters and dramatized in the "Mystery" series on PBS.



Coming full circle, no one does mystery or gardens better than the British, so naturally they had to have one that was named after herbs and seasoning with another couple of gardeners, Rosemary Boxer and Laura Thyme figuring out Who Dunnit IT while installing gardens in Rosemary and Thyme.




10 comments:

maryt/theteach said...

I love Derek Jacoby as Bro Cadfael. And thanks for the traditional sounding rendition of Scarborough Fair. Happy MM! :)

Janna said...

I saw Brother Cadfael once, a few years ago.
I remember it was kind of hard to follow, but I still liked it anyway.
It would be nice to have it on DVD. :)

Patti said...

When I hear the word season I think of the song, "Seasons of Love" from Rent.

Never heard of Brother Cadfael. Interesting.

Desert Songbird said...

I love British mysteries. They're "seasoned" just right without too much violence.

Linda said...

Well at least no one has been singing that dreadful "Seasons in the Sun" song from the 70's!

I have always enjoyed "Scarborough Fair" though I believe I am most partial to the Simon & Garfunkel version than any other.

ClancyPants said...

I want to watch the Rosemary and Thyme show! That looks great!!! I'll have to see if my library has it. :)

anthonynorth said...

A trio of delight there. I love the song, and watched every episode of both crime thrillers when they first came out.

Gemma Wiseman said...

I'm with you on the song! That was my first thought and it's been buzzing around in my head ever since I saw the prompt! Also, I can't escape the words of the song "All My Life's a Circle". That's seasonal too!

Great post!

Anonymous said...

I love that your Manic Monday posts are always so informative! :)
Have a great week.
My Season

Travis Cody said...

Derek Jacobi is such a fine actor. And I love the Brother Cadfael mysteries.