From the preview for the new Broadway production of Finian's Rainbow
How Are Things In Glocca Morra?
If This Isn't Love
Classic Irish Coffee Recipe
Get a change to your casual coffee recipe; try the classic Irish coffee recipe. This Irish coffee recipe is quick and fun and it is elegant and sophisticated. It’s great for when you have a lot of people over or when you are in the mood to make something special for yourself.
- six ounces of hot, fresh brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar for sweetness (alternative: rim glass with sugar rather than mixing in coffee)
- 1 ½ ounces of your favorite Irish whiskey
- heavy cream
Here is a basic Irish coffee recipe: Using the heavy cream, whip it until it becomes whipped cream. You can add sugar and confeccionate sugar to sweeten. Place into the refrigerator to chill. Once your fresh coffee is brewed, combine it with the whiskey and sugar. Mix it well until the sugar dissolves. Take the whipped cream out and float it on top of the Irish coffee mixture. And voilá, you have in your hands your first homemade Irish coffee recipe.
- Make sure that the whipped cream does not break the surface of the coffee. This may take some time to accomplish but with practice, you will get there.
- Try using a warm spoon to add the whipped cream.
- Try pouring the whip cream over the back of a spoon to help the cream float rather sink into the coffee mixture.