15 March 2011

Queen's Meme #74 - Emergency Meme




Welcome to The Queen's Meme #74
7 Royal Questions on Tuesday

Have you ever wondered how ready you would be if disaster struck your home or your town? Are you prepared for it? The horrific events in Japan this week and my own mini-disaster at home (of little consequence in comparison) caused me to start thinking about maintaining my Emergency Kit. I actually made one after 9-11 for Bloggingham and made kits for my parents and members of my family. Let's see how ready you are. Here's a link to The US Department of Homeland Security FEMA just in case you need it.  According to FEMA: A disaster supplies kit is a collection of basic items that members of a household may need in the event of a disaster.
----------------
I first thought of playing this funny and then decided to take it seriously.  One nice thing about living with a retired survival trained soldier is that while you know you aren't prepared for everything possible, you are in better shape than most.

Her majesty is concerned about the survival of her subjects.  Therefor we have the following questions open for responses.  To sign in for the original post go HERE

1. How many days worth of food, water and supplies do you need in your Emergency Kit?

We have 30 Days food in the pantry as well as sterno cans for the camping stove.

2. You should prepare supplies for home, work, and vehicle. What item do you need in your car that is not needed at home?

Compass, Maps, flares.   The emergency kit means that we have blankets, food and water.  That is in the trunk of every car.

3. If you are evacuated from your workplace. You grab your "grab and go" bag. What is in it?

This is a little more difficult.  Chris is on a military base.  His car is disaster ready but in addition there are all sorts of support systems on Fort Lewis/.  The cars at home are ready to meet him at a third point.

4. How many gallons of water should each person in your household need for 3 days?

We have 25 gallons on hand plus a bottle pump.  Doesn't allow for bathing, but will handle drinking and food for three people.

5. Tell us your favorite non-perishable food items.  - One bit of silly:  Chocolate.  The world runs on chocolate.

6.  How much cash are you going to hide in your emergency disaster kit?

$500 in cash

7. Do you have a basic emergency plan developed for you and your family? Have you written it down, practiced and discussed it? Does everyone know where the emergency supplies are?

This is interesting.  In 1980 I put a map on the wall in Santa Monica  to show my children what would happen in an earthquake and where they needed to be.  To this day, the daughter and son in their respective domiciles know where the family "meet up" location is located.  For fun can you say Las Vegas?.

6 comments:

Nessa said...

I intended at first to take it serious too but I had sat here all morning watching the devastation and decided i needed a break. Too bad I can't just snap my fingers and give Japan a break too. it's just so sad.

We do have a fire plan, I forgot about that, but that's about it.

Susan Demeter said...

You are doing much, much better than we are! I think with recent world events and now this meme I am going to try to do better.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Chocolate is so obvious! Wish I had thought of it.

Anonymous said...

in case of emergency...i'm coming to your house..

Travis Cody said...

We're in the process of reviewing our emergency preparedness. One thing you don't often here is that you should periodically check your emergency kits to make sure nothing has spoiled, that batteries are still in good shape and that there are enough, that bottled water hasn't evaporated, etc...

One thing I don't have is a small kit at work. I rely on the kit I have in the car, but I realize that I may not be able to get to the vehicle. So I should put together a "grab & go" kit for my desk.

Mimi Lenox said...

I'm glad you played it straight. You gave me some additional things to think about.
I need to work on a vehicle kit. I have 1/2 the items and not nearly enough water for the house. I also need to replenish the food in the ER kits here. Probably expired.

Baby Boy knows what to do in case of tornado or fire. The rest we must talk about. Soon.