27 September 2006

Other News From Another World










Daily we get incensed over politics, the Iraq war, and the sheer stupidity and incompetence of our leaders. Look around your comfortable life. However little or much you have, by comparison to many places in the world you are a person of vast wealth.

Right now, this instant, while the U.S. does nothing and the U.N. does nothing a government is selectively enslaving, starving, raping, maiming and murdering many of its citizens who have not managed to escape to camps where they can at least get food and minimal care.

There is something you can do. You might start here:

Save The Children - Sudan

Save Darfur

Darfur Genocide

The Shortest Story
by Harry Chapin

I am born today, the sun burns its promise in my eyes;
Mama strikes me and I draw a breath and cry.
Above me a cloud softly tumbles through the sky;
I am glad to be alive.

It is me seventh day, I taste the hunger and I cry;
my brother and sister cling to Mama's side.
She squeezes her breast, but it has nothing to provide;
someone weeps, I fall asleep.

It is twenty days today, Mama does not hold me anymore;
I open my mouth but I am too weak to cry.
Above me a bird slowly crawls across the sky;
why is there nothing now to do but die?

No comments: