19 February 2008

Two For The Road



Marvelous Mo of It's A Blog Eat Blog World has decreed that this Monday's word is "Two". As much as most of us would like to be paired, it's not easy to do it well which is what is behind one of my favorite motion pictures.

"When we married you were a disorganized, egotistical failure," Joanna tells Mark. "Now you are a disorganized, egotistical success."

There you have one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies: Two For The Road with one of the most beautiful theme songs ever written for a film courtesy of Henry Mancini.



If you have never seen the picture, it stars Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney. In a masterpiece of editing you see them as a couple who have been married for twelve years on their road trips together, flashing back and forth between when they met and fell in love to later incidents in the marriage. It is a great "relationship" movie with all the ups and downs that can befall a couple as time and habit wear away at the first flush of being "in love" and gets replaced with a deeper if often troubling state of imperfect love as they laugh, cry, argue, betray, and ultimately can't do without each other.

Two for the Road ends with a shocking (for the time), two-word exchange between the two stars, and at least, for Audrey Hepburn, the closest thing to profanity in any of her films:

"Bitch!" says he.

"Bastard!" she replies.

And somehow you know, everything will be okay.



22 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

I have to admit, those are good lines.

Ian said...

I have a weakness for romantic comedies. Don't tell anyone, though, because they'll take away my macho card.

Ian

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Wow...I like how you play you TWO! Lovely!

Happy MM!

Sandee said...

I've not seen it, but the clip sounds like love to me. Very well done. Have a great MM. :)

Anonymous said...

Love that movie...dig those white sunglasses!!!!

Unknown said...

Nice one! Love that movie! Happy MM!

Gattina said...

I have seen that movie but looooong time ago ! Nice interpretation of two !

Travis Cody said...

I haven't seen that film, but what better recommendations than Mr Finny, Ms Hepburn, and the obscenely talented Mr Mancini.

Happy MM!

Linda said...

I don't believe I've seen this one but now I'm going to have to as it sounds great!

Jersey - The Furry Diva said...

"Zwei auf Gleichem Weg" - that´s what the movie is called in Germany. We ♥ the movie. Great choice!

Happy MM!

Unknown said...

Oooooh, I have to watch the movie again soon. I could watch it over and over again, as well as listen to Henry Mancini for hours.

Our little son (22 months) enjoys the "Baby Elephant Walk" most :)

Happy Manic Monday!

Cheerio said...

That was great.

Schmoop said...

Albert Finney is one of my favorite actors. He is a hoot. Cheers Jamie!!

Unknown said...

Great MM Post! I must admit that I've not seen this movie. I'll need to place it in my Netflix queue...

I struggled with this week's MM meme. Come visit if you have time or inclination.

peace, Villager

maryt/theteach said...

Oh Jamie, thank you! Thank you! For the song and the clip of the ending! Do you know where I can get a pair of those sun-glasses? :)

Nancy Lindquist-Liedel said...

I'm going to seek that out. Thanks for the tip. I adore AH.

Shelia said...

Fab lines, and song. Love classic movies.

Happy MM! :D

frizzyeatworld said...

OMG I just LOVE this. Awesome, awesome post. I'm actually excited to see the movie again. Thank you!

And yes, here's to the happy days outnumbering the ratty ones. Cheers!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the clip! Sounds like a fabulous movie. I will have to rent it... Thanks for visiting and happy MM!

Lee Ann aka Dixie said...

I have never seen this movie but will definitely put it on my to watch list.

Thanks for stopping by and Happy MM.

Marilyn said...

I'll have to put this on my list too.

TopChamp said...

I have never seen the film despite having a sister who is quite a fan of the beautiful Audrey Hepburn.

It sounds good from your description...synopsis(?).