31 August 2009

A New Ending




“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

Maria Robinson quotes

I found the quote above and fell in love with it, as it is sort of a companion with another motto: "It's never too late for a happy childhood."

While looking back can give you an appreciation of history, wisdom gained from mistakes made, and a perspective on life as you go forward, you simply can't waste your hours living there. If you worry about the road not taken, you may miss a really great detour ahead.

Being happy is really a decision. You make it and go through the motions until you convince yourself that you are. At times this will mean wearing a mask. That isn't phony, it's an acting job. As the old song says,

While shivering in my shoes
I strike a careless pose
And whistle a happy tune
And no one ever knows I'm afraid.
The result of this deception
Is very strange to tell
For when I fool the people
I fear I fool myself as well!

Once you get in the habit of looking for new roads to travel, people to meet, and adventures to have, it's almost as if they start to come looking for you. A friend once asked me how to fall in love and I told her to go where she was happy. If you are fortunate, you will bump into someone who is happy being there as well. If you don't, you will still have had a good time.

Have a great month and I hope you find another new ending.

7 comments:

carol g said...

What great sentiments!! These words mean so much to me. I'm putting this post in my book. I am also printing it out for hubby's mom and brother. Thank you, oh wise one.

Linda said...

This reminds me somewhat of one of the quotes I use in my email - "All ending are beginnings, we just don't know it at the time." I read that one in "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" and fell in love with it because it's just so true - just like the words in this post. So, so true!

You hit the nail right on the head about being happy really a being a decision - one that we chose to make ourselves because we really can't leave that up to other people, can we?

I hope you have some fantastic endings this Fall yourself!

Billie Greenwood said...

That is a great quote, Jamie! I remember a bumper sticker from long ago that read: Don't let yesterday use up today.

Mimi Lenox said...

Lovely.

sturgeone said...

jamie.......great road picture.......

Keyboard Jockey said...

Jamie,

Imus inked a deal.

http://youhavetobethistalltogoonthisride.blogspot.com/2009/09/breaking-imus-signs-with-fox-business.html

Travis Cody said...

I love this post! It aptly describes the journey I took years ago to change my attitude from mainly negative to mostly positive.