Queen Mimi of Bloggingham is digging into the past with a January quiz. To join in head for the Queen's Meme to join in.
There are some strange traditions associated with this month, many of them are British customs. Help me decipher the January mysteries of the Universe below. And I sincerely hope you remembered to bake a cake for the cow.
1. January usually has ample amounts of snowfall in parts of the world. Did you ever make snow cream as a kid?
It's against the law at sea level in California even if you can find the materials in the underground.
2. January is the first month of the year in the Gregorian calendar. The name comes from the Latin word ianua meaning door and is named after the god of the doorway, Janus.
Is there a particular door you'd like to step through this year?
Don't care as long as I'm in a size 10 when I do it.
3. January is one of the months with 31 days. What are you going to do with that extra day?
Give it to February so there will be another Leap Year for ladies to propose to the object of their affections.
4. In medieval times superstition dictated that the 1st day of January was significant for prosperity, or lack of it, in a person's life. Farmers put a flat cake on the horns of a cow and they danced and sang songs around the cow until the cake was thrown to the ground. If it fell in front of the cow that meant good luck; it if fell behind the cow that meant bad luck for the rest of the year.
Do you have strange New Year customs in your household?
We have found that waking up is very beneficial.
5. Did you know that it's unlucky to see the first new moon of the year through a window? You should, instead, look through a new silk handkerchief! Did you remember to do this?
Against the law in Washington since that would require movement of the cloud layer ... also no star gazing.
6. On January 14, 1986 motorists were required for the first time to wear seat belts?
Do you always buckle up? Why or why not?
It took me a long time to get used to it but now I do all the time.
7. If you are single and want to find a mate, legend has it that on January 20th you should walk backwards up the stairs to bed. If you don't have a staircase you should recite The Lord's Prayer while transferring pins from a pin cushion to your sleeve.
I couldn't find a male ritual to attract women.
Make one up.
Men have it easy. Walk into jewelry store, buy ring, wave in air to attract a crowd. Grab the one that ooooohs the loudest.