24 January 2011

Time Enough For Love Or A Really Good Job


Yesterday, Mary Tomaselli from Work of the Poet asked an old question with a new twist on Facebook. For all of us middle-aged and above, "What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?" This naturally got me thinking. Knowing what you know about yourself now and given the opportunity for a "Do Over", what would you be when you grew up?

This quite naturally led to considering one of my all time favorite books, Time Enough For love by Robert Heinlein (I read the Notebooks of Lazarus Long at least once a year) and dabble in one or more of the stories that make up the novel frequently just to touch something familiar. The Notebooks are on line if you want to click the link to read them, but I would recommend getting your own copy of the book.

 Lazarus is 2000 years old and over the course of his life has had many wives, children, jobs, and adventures.
If you could do the the same,  you have unlimited time, will always be young if you so desire as your "image" age can be frozen wherever it suits you to stay meaning no fear of mirrors. I told Mary that that Idina Menzel could move over and given my love for Theater and music, I would be kicking my heels up on Broadway. Here's your chance. What do you want to be when you grow up?

And for a little theme music: The Second Time Around

2 comments:

Travis Cody said...

Well, if I could really have unlimited do-overs there are several things I'd do...always returning to the starting age of 22 when I had finished.

First, I'd fulfill my desire to be a Marine. I would enlist and work hard to be a Gunnery Sergeant. I would retire after 20 years.

Then I'd get the re-set to 22 again and play in the NFL as a defensive back. I'd do that for 12 years, barring injury.

Then I'd get the re-set to 22 again and spend the next unknown number of years as an actor.

Wait...could I get Pam to come with me? If not, then scratch it all. There's nothing I'd do over if she's not part of it.

Durward Discussion said...

Thanks to passing along his genes not to mention cloning, the majority of Lazarus' wives were equally long lived. The one who wasn't is in one of the best stories in the book.