06 July 2007

There Goes My Childhood





It was the summer of 1959 and I was in love for the first time. As these things go, my heart was in smithereens for the first time before the first day of the tenth grade. This first foray into romance had a soundtrack as only teenage passions can. "There Goes My Baby ... Movin' On Down the Line."

This morning almost a half century later, I woke to the news that Bill Pinkney, the last of the original Drifters, had passed away at the age of 81 (were they really 20 years older than me?).

So here's to Roy wherever you may be if you still are anywhere on earth. As first among a few heartwrenchers, you weren't bad. And here's to Bill who made wonderful music. You were part of the soundtrack of my life. May your move on down the line be a nice smooth transition to Paradise.



6 comments:

Corey said...

He was a reminder of your first love , eh?

Durward Discussion said...

Yep ... Everytime I heard the song. Instant mental picture. It always makes me smile.

Linda said...

I guess he's number two behind Beverly Sills. Any guess on number three?

Funny how these things go ...

Schmoop said...

Yet another memeber of Rock and Roll Heaven. Cheers Jamie!!

Travis Cody said...

I love The Drifters. I'm so thankful my mom always had music going. She introduced me to the music of her youth and helped me develop an appreciation of so many eras and genres.

Lisa Ryan said...

mmm, first loves always stay with us as does the music.