04 June 2007

Manic Monday - Peace

Blessed are the peacemakers
for they shall be called the children of God.



I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969)

There was never a good war or a bad peace.

Ben Franklin (1706-1790)














We must pursue peaceful ends through peaceful means.
Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968)

All we are saying is give peace a chance.

John Lennon (1940-1980)









The structure of world peace cannot be the work of one man or one party or one nation. It must be a peace which rests on the cooperative effort of the whole world.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt (1882-1945)

I was once asked why I don't participate in anti-war demonstrations. I said that I will never do that, but as soon as you have a pro-peace rally, I'll be there.

Mother Theresa (1910-1997)










They shall beat their swords into ploughshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.


Isaiah, II:4

Robert Sims and Odetta





Your armed struggles for profit
Have left collars of waste upon
My shore, currents of debris upon my breast.
Yet, today I call you to my riverside,
If you will study war no more. Come,
Clad in peace and I will sing the songs
The Creator gave to me when I and the
Tree and the stone were one.


Maya Angelou











From A Distance - Bette Midler




28 comments:

Unknown said...

Jamie, you gave us quite a bit to think about with your Manic Monday post on peace. Great photos and rememberances. Have a great week!

peace, Villager

vanillabirdies said...

Great quotes, and even greater people.

Thanks Jamie!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

"collars of waste "

What a potent image. Maya Angelou always astounds.

Wonderful quotes. Powerful post.

Travis Cody said...

Words are powerful things. We must say them, and we must listen, and then we must do the work required.

Excellent post.

Sandee said...

You covered it from stem to stern as you always do. It's always a great history lesson here... Peace :)

Anonymous said...

wonderful job-couldn't have said it any better.

Crazy Working Mom said...

You put a lot of time and effort into this post. Great job. :)

Happy MM, Peace!

Desert Songbird said...

Peace be with you and yours...

Joy Renee said...

wonderful presentation. with so much wisdom in so many public policy and culture leader in the last hundred years, how did we still go so wrong?

hey, i grew up about a two hour drive south of you in Longview.

love joy peace

Unknown said...

Perfect, Jamie - simply perfect. Thank you!

LOVE&PEACE hearts;

Sanni

Anonymous said...

jamie.....one of my favorite songs....bette midler...i forget the one who wrote it but it gives me the old goose bumps when bette sings it....thanks

Rashenbo said...

I love this section here:
If you will study war no more. Come,
Clad in peace and I will sing the songs
The Creator gave to me when I and the
Tree and the stone were one.

Thank you for sharing! I enjoyed reading your post today!

the Book of Keira said...

Beautiful people... beautiful post. Happy (and peaceful) Manic Monday.

Mimi Lenox said...

Lovely post, Jamie. The music is very special. Can't wait for Wednesday!

Mo and The Purries said...

Oh great quotes, Jamie!
I was going to google for peace quotes, but I have to look no farther than here!

cheers & peace,
mo

Lizza said...

Thank you for sharing these very inspirational quotes, Jamie.

Rhian said...

Jamie thanks for stopping by my blog (it's kinda cool to have new visitors while i'm out of town playing at Disney!) - this was a GREAT post, very moving - especially the Maya poem. I'll be popping back by. Do give me a shout if you post a poem again on mondays and i'll add you to the Monday Poetry Train! (waving like a dweeb from Mickey-land - Rhi)

Lisa Ryan said...

wonderful portrayal of the peace makers.

eProf2 said...

Amen!

Anonymous said...

I'm not playing Manic Monday, so ordinarily, I don't comment...but just wanted to tell you: thank you!

Ann said...

Great post. Thanks.

Barb said...

Very, very impressive! Bette Midler is my hero :)

Anonymous said...

Maybe one of one your best posts in a while. I really enjoyed all the quotes. I think Eisenhower deserves a second look by a lot of people, especially in light of popularizing the "military-industrial complex" term.

Marilyn said...

I was going to say, "great quotes," but everybody else already said it. Peace...

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

What a wonderful post, Jamie. I especially resonate with the quote by Mother Theresa.

Bless you!

Everyone is invited to see my Manic Monday post... a bit late, but finally up :o) I hope you can stop by.

Unknown said...

Great post.

Peace to you.

Later Y'all

Danielle said...

Thank you for offering such a poignant collection of peaceful quotes. Maya Angelou's quotation specifically the phrase "not study war no more", may be growing within our universities as I recently read that there is a strong decline in military focused history courses being taught.

Be well and enjoy the day

Charlie said...

What a great collection of peace quotes!